Design Principles (Assignment 1) Process and Explanation

Assignment 1

 

This assignment was relatively tricky in what I see myself as. It was more of how I reflect upon my likes, dislikes, personality, my inspirations and even my aspirations.


Basic Sketch


I started out with this pose as I took some inspiration from a cover of a video game in which I thoroughly enjoyed playing through. The game's cover gives the visual of the protagonist's inner conflict and dilemma as a detective through the use of broken glass and the protagonist in the middle giving it a form of unity towards him and his struggles.

 Judgment
My inspiration for my piece

 

I utilized this form of storytelling in my image and created a certain type of harmonious unity in my sketches.



2nd Sketch


I then created a version of myself that I liked, a certain similarity to my real appearance but also in the form of the art style I have adopted after many years of drawing. I wanted to display myself in the form I want to see myself in. With both the color scheme of what I like to wear in the real world and my significant use of the glass shards displaying what I perceive to be what designs me as a person. From my inspiration formed by gaming, the characters I formed a love for after creating them and the entire creative process that builds my art.

Line Art and Coloring
 
Addition of Glass Shards (Left) and Images (Right)

I realized that I wanted to add the principle of Contrast, for as I want to contrast from the world around me, feeling like I am a one of a kind. I used that aspect of design and added in a dark background with a small bit of lighting on the top right.


Addition of background (Left) and Shading (Right)
 
After discussing with my lecturer about my piece, the feedback he gave was what made me tweak my design a little bit more. Adding in more amounts of red to play off the primary color utilized in this image, and also changing the way the images are arranged to give a sense of priority and what aspect of how I perceive myself means more to me. In addition I changed the glass placement as to not obstruct the facial features.


Final Image
 
 
Reflection
 
I had a lot of fun designing this piece and having a deep look at what makes me the person I am today. I realize after all this, I am a one of a kind, someone that is special in the ways I express myself through my creative endeavors. I utilized the design principles I wanted to use to form a self-portrait that I think shows people who I am in more ways than one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Design Principles Exercise